ePortfolio FAQs

Click on a question to see the answer.

1. What is an ePortfolio?

An electronic portfolio (ePortfolio) is a personal website given to every registered LaGuardia student. An ePortfolio not only helps you set educational and career goals, it is also a tool for reflective learning that can help you learn about yourself. LaGuardia is widely recognized for its innovative, comprehensive ePortfolio program.

2. What are the different types of ePortfolios?

There are three types of ePortfolios: Introductory, Advanced, and Programmatic ePortfolios.

• The Introductory ePortfolio is designed for students with less than 45 credits whose major does not use a specific template/structure.
  • The Advanced ePortfolio is designed for students with 45 credits or more whose major does not have a specific template.
  • Programmatic ePortfolios are major-specific. Currently, the majors with pre-defined templates/structures are:
    • Business (Introduction, Professional Goals, Sample Coursework, Community Service and Non-Academic Activities, Resume, Contact Information)
    • Education (Introduction, Coursework, Education Seminars, Educational Settings, Educational Philosophy Statements, Professional Development Plan, Professional Standards)
    • Fine Arts (Intro, Bio, Artist Statement, Coursework, Links, Contact)
    • Human Services (Personal Vision, Bio, Professional Goals, Coursework and Competencies, Fieldwork HSC 203, Fieldwork HSM 204, Contact)
    • Licensed Practical Nursing (Introduction, Nursing Philosophy Statement, Professional Goals, Coursework, Resume Leadership and Community Service)
    • LPN to RN Advanced Pathway Program (Introduction, Nursing Philosophy Statement, Professional Goals, Coursework, Resume, Leadership and Community Service)
    • Occupational Therapy Assistant Program (Introduction, Resume, Career Goals, Clinical Experience, Courses and Projects)
    • Physical Therapist Assistant Program (Home, Mission Statement, Classes and Projects, Professional and Community Activities, Resume, Links Contact)
    • Registered Nursing (Introduction, Nursing Philosophy Statement, Professional Goals, Coursework, Resume Leadership and Community Service)

To see samples of the different ePortfolios described above, please visit our ePortfolio gallery (http://eportfolio.lagcc.cuny.edu/gallery/)

3. Why ePortfolio?

To deepen student learning and engagement
The LaGuardia ePortfolio encourages students to think about their learning within the broader context of family, career, culture, and experience.

To build a community and to connect
ePortfolio allows students to share their academic work with friends and family, connect with faculty, and work together with other students, inside and outside of classroom.

For Recruitment and Advising
The LaGuardia ePortfolio is used to recruit potential students and orient newly admitted ones. During orientation, students are given a sneak preview of what they can do with their ePortfolios and how they can benefit from having one.

For Transfer and Employment
LaGuardia’s ePortfolio helps students to examine and reflect on their learning and career goals and prepares them to move from LaGuardia to the worlds of work and advanced education.

For Program Assessment
All colleges and universities examine teaching and learning in order to improve the education they provide. At LaGuardia, this process is called Program Assessment. And we do it, in part, with students’ assignments placed in the Program Assessment area of the ePortfolio system.

4. Why am I doing ePortfolio in multiple courses?

Students build their ePortfolios in multiple courses. It helps them collect their coursework for future use. An ePortfolio grows richer and more sophisticated over time, as a student learns and progresses. Revisiting and refining their ePortfolios over time helps students deepen their learning, make connections, and take full advantage of their education.

5. How can employers get access to ePortfolio?

In order to allow those outside of the LaGuardia or CUNY community to view a student’s ePortfolio, privacy settings must be set to “public.” To do this, see section 10 of the following tutorial: http://eportfolio.lagcc.cuny.edu/support/doc/logging_initial_setup.pdf

6. Can I make my ePortfolio private?

7. Can I work on my ePortfolio from home?

Yes. As a LaGuardia student, you can access your ePortfolio from any computer as long as you have an internet connection. Go to the LaGuardia home page (http://laguardia.edu) and click on “Current Students”. Under “My e-Tools” click on ePortfolio to log in.
Or just go directly to https://intranet.laguardia.edu/eportfoliosso/

8. Do I need to be enrolled in a class to start building my ePortfolio?

Not necessarily. Once you have an account, you can start and continue to build your ePortfolio. To get an account, you must be a LaGuardia student with a Live account (student email account).

9. How do I login to Digication?

Go to the login page: https://intranet.laguardia.edu/eportfoliosso/ . Enter the following information: Username: firstname.lastname Password: your eight digit CUNYfirst ID (EMPLID) and the last two digits of your birth year. For example, if your CUNYfirst ID (EMPLID) is 01234567 and you where born in 1993, Then your password is 0123456793.

10. I keep getting an error message and I am not able to login, what should I do?

11. Can I change my password to access my ePortfolio?

No. Passwords are system generated and cannot be changed.

12. What if I need extra help with my ePortfolio, where should I go?

You can go to the ePortfolio lab in B121 and speak to an STM (Student Technology Mentor) about any ePortfolio related question you may have. Click here for their schedule: http://eportfolio.lagcc.cuny.edu/support/studio.htm. You can also email the ePortfolio team at ePortfolio@lagcc.cuny.edu.

13. What is a template? What is a theme? How are they different?

A template is the framework of an ePortfolio and includes its sections and pre-built modules. Specific templates are used by programs at the college, such as Nursing, Physical Therapy, Fine Arts, Business, etc. A theme, on the other hand, is the aesthetic look of the ePortfolio – the colors, fonts, banner, etc.

14. Which template and theme do I choose if I don’t see my major on the list?

• If you want to select a template and cannot see your major, choose the ‘Introductory A1’ ePortfolio if you have less than 45 credits. Choose the ‘Advanced A2’ if you have 45 credits or more.
  • If you want to select a theme and cannot see your major, scroll down and select ‘Standard’, which will give you some themes to select from.

15. After choosing a template, can I change it later on?

No, the template, the structure of the ePortfolio, cannot be changed. Therefore it is important that you pick the template according to your major and future aspirations. If you do not have a major when building your ePortfolio, just select either an Introductory or Advanced template, depending on the number of credits you have.

16. After choosing a theme can I change it later on?

Yes. The theme, the color scheme and banner, can be changed as many times as you need or want to.

17. How can I modify or customize the banner?

When you build an ePortfolio, you can select various themes that already contain their own banners. But you also have the option to build your own banner using such software as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Fireworks, etc., and upload it to your ePortfolio. The dimensions required are 780 (width) by no more than 250 (height).
Note: Students are advised to not use pictures obtained from the internet or internet search engines without permission due to potential copyright infringement.

18. What are modules?

Modules provide areas for you to add images, movies, text and links to websites or files within your pages. More than one module can be added to a page to allow you to customize the display of your content.
Click on the button ‘Add A Module’ to add a module to your page.
Available modules include:
Image/Video
Rich Text
Gallery (for multiple images or videos)
Contact Form
Image/Video Module

19. How do you add a module?

Click on 'Add This Module'.
Click on 'Done' to start adding content (or select more modules to add).
Upon clicking ‘Done’, the following options will become available:
- 'Add A Module' allows additional modules to be added to this page.
- 'Publish All' allows you to publish any saved media or text to your ePortfolio. This is especially helpful when there is more than one module on a page.
- The tab 'View (Media or Text)' is a view of your saved, but not published,
module content (drafts).
- The tab 'Edit' lets you add and edit module content.
- The tab 'Publish' lets you publish a specific module of your ePortfolio.
- The tab 'Delete' allows you to delete the module from the page.
- 'Drag to reorder' allow you to reorder modules on a page.

20. What are tags and why should I use them?

Tags are keywords or terms assigned to an ePortfolio to help describe it and allow it to be found by browsing or searching using that term. A tag can serve as a quick identifier. For instance, if your ePortfolio is tagged with the keyword ‘capstone,’ it will be easier to find if someone searches for that particular term. An ePortfolio will not be searchable if it’s set to private.

21. How can I alter the background color of my ePortfolio?

It’s best if you have some basic knowledge of cascading style sheets (CSS) markup language. Refer to the tutorials section in the ePortfolio site at http://eportfolio.lagcc.cuny.edu/support/tutorials.htm and select the tutorial “Changing the Color of an ePortfolio by Changing the CSS Color Code.”

22. Why doesn’t my text wrap around the image properly?

Make sure that you align the picture to either left or right when inserting it. In Edit mode, do the following:
Click on ‘Insert Media’ so that you can ‘Browse for media,’
Once you locate the file make sure to select either right or left under ‘Alignment.’
Click on ‘Save’ and then ‘Publish All.’
You may notice that the text is not fully wrapped around the image; if this is the case, click once on the picture to select it. Then click on the ‘Insert Media’ button again, redefine the alignment to right or left and click Insert.

23. Why does my text formatting change when I copy and paste from MS Word?

It is recommended that you use Notepad (or Text on Mac) when pasting information from a Microsoft Word document into your ePortfolio. This will remove all existing formatting options on your document. Once you have the information on Notepad, simply select it to copy and paste it to your ePortfolio. Once on your ePortfolio, you can edit the font size, color, etc.

24. How do I share my ePortfolio with my Professor?

25. I did all my work and shared my ePortfolio with my Professor but he/she cannot see it.

You must make sure that your work is published. Once you finish editing your work and click on the ‘Save’ button, you will notice a red horizontal bar that indicates ‘DRAFT: This module has unpublished changes.’ At this point, your work will be saved but not visible to other viewers. To make those changes visible to everyone, click on the ‘Publish This Page’ button at the upper right. Then click on ‘Publish All Changes’ button . You can click on the ‘Published’ tab on top of your banner to see it as visitors would. This is a good way to make sure all of your work is visible to others.

26. Why can’t other viewers see my “Resume” or “My LaGuardia Journey” page?

In some of the themes the ‘Resume’ or ‘My LaGuardia Journey’ pages may be hidden. You can identify a page that is hidden because its name will be in italics. To unhide the page, do the following:
a) Login to Digication and click on your ePortfolio
b) On the top navigation bar, click on the ‘ vulnerability Add/Edit’ tab
c) You will notice a small icon next the page name, click on it
d) Click on ‘Show Advanced’
a. Uncheck the ‘Hide this page’ option.
Repeat these steps for all pages that are hidden on your ePortfolio.

27. When I copy and paste a document file, such as a table or my resume, the cells in the module are outside of the module container. How do I fix this?

Copy and paste your resume and/or any other text file into Notepad. This will remove all other program formatting. When done, copy and paste your text from Notepad into your ePortfolio layout. Format as you wish using the formatting icons, which are very similar to those in Microsoft Word.

Students: About Assessment

1. What is Assessment?

All colleges and universities examine teaching practice and student learning in order to improve the education provided to students. At LaGuardia, this process is called Program Assessment. We do it, in part, with samples of class work that students place in the Program Assessment folder in the ePortfolio system.
Please go to this link for more information: http://www.lagcc.cuny.edu/assessment/

2. How do I know what needs to be deposited for Assessment?

You will be informed by your professor on what file(s) to deposit in assessment area.

3. How can I deposit my assignment on the Assessment area?

Refer to the tutorials section in the ePortfolio site at http://eportfolio.lagcc.cuny.edu/support/tutorials.htm and select the tutorial “Depositing Assessment Artifacts in Digication: Instructions for Students”.

4. Can I change the item that I originally deposited in ePortfolio assessment?

No, once an item is submitted into the assessment area of the ePortfolio it cannot be replaced or edited. You have to tell your professor if you deposited the wrong file.

For Faculty

1. How can I log in to the ePortfolio system?

In order to log in to the Digication system, use your GroupWise credentials. For example, if your email is jdoe@lagcc.cuny.edu, then your username is jdoe. Then enter the password you use to login to GroupWise.

2. Who do I contact if I cannot log in to Digication?

Email the ePortfolio team at ePortfolio@lagcc.cuny.edu for help.

3. Why can’t I see my student’s ePortfolios when they said they have shared them with me?

In order to see the students’ ePortfolios, you must enable the ‘ePortfolios’ tab under your course page. To do so, follow the steps below:
a) Login to Digication
b) Scroll down to the ‘My Courses’ section and click on your course (e.g., CEP121, LIB200).
c) Click on the ‘Settings’ tab located on the right side; this will give you the option to edit the settings for that particular course.
d) Click on ‘General Info’ under ‘Administration’ on the left hand side. Scroll down to the section under ‘What tools do I need?’ and check off ‘Portfolios’
e) Click on ‘Save’ for the changes to take effect.
f) You will notice that you will see the ‘ePortfolios’ tab on the top. Remember ePortfolios must be shared with the four course code number (e.g., CEP121.1234) in order to be listed. Check with your ePortfolio consultant to make sure this has been done in class.

4. Why is my student’s ePortfolio content missing?

The new Digication system requires the user to save and publish the work. It is possible that students saved the work without publishing. If this is the case, then the information that was edited will not be visible to other viewers. Faculty and ePortfolio consultants must remind students to save their work, but more importantly to publish all their work once they have finished editing.

5. When is the best time to work on audio/video recording in the semester?

We strongly recommend starting a video or audio project by the 6th or 7th week. Keep in mind that starting these projects closer to the end of term becomes difficult since time and equipment are much more limited.

6. Why is it important for me to view my students’ ePortfolios?

By viewing your students’ ePortfolios, you will be able to learn more about their career interests and majors as well as their abilities and skills. Since ePortfolios are designed to enhance student learning, you will be able to measure student progress, too. Please refer to the faculty resources page at the ePortfolio site for further information on how to use ePortfolios: http://eportfolio.lagcc.cuny.edu/faculty/resources.htm.

Faculty: Assessment

1. How can I view my students’ artifacts for Assessment?

2. How do I submit the Assessment Deposit report to my Program Director?

Faculty: Digication Course Management System (CMS)

1. How do I activate the attendance and grade book features for my course?

To do this, do the following:
a. Login to Digication
b. Scroll down to the ‘My Courses’ section and click on your course (e.g., CEP121, LIB200).
c. Click on the ‘Settings’ tab located on the right side; this will give you the option to edit the settings for that particular course.
d. Click on ‘General Info’ under ‘Administration’ on the left hand side. Scroll down to the section under ‘What tools do I need?’ and check off ‘Attendance’ and ‘Grade Book’
e. Click on ‘Save’ for the changes to take effect.

2. How can I add course-related content using the CMS features?

You can add course documents and much more using the CMS features on Digication. For a complete tutorial on how to do this, refer to Section 5 of the “Using The CMS Features in Digication” tutorial on the ePortfolio site: http://eportfolio.lagcc.cuny.edu/support/doc/Using_The_CMS_Features_in_Digication_rvsd.pdf

3. How can I use the Digication Attendance feature?

Please refer to Section 6 on the “Using The CMS Features in Digication” tutorial at the ePortfolio site: http://eportfolio.lagcc.cuny.edu/support/doc/Using_The_CMS_Features_in_Digication_rvsd.pdf

4. How can I use the Digication Grade Book?

Please refer to Section 7 on the “Using The CMS Features in Digication” tutorial at the ePortfolio site: http://eportfolio.lagcc.cuny.edu/support/doc/Using_The_CMS_Features_in_Digication_rvsd.pdf

5. How can I add quick links?

Please refer to Section 8 on the “Using The CMS Features in Digication” tutorial at the ePortfolio site: http://eportfolio.lagcc.cuny.edu/support/doc/Using_The_CMS_Features_in_Digication_rvsd.pdf

6. How can I add users?

If you have a student who is enrolled in your class but whose name does not appear on your roster on Digication, do the following:
a) Login to Digication
d) Click on ‘User Access’ under ‘Users’ on the left hand side menu.
e) A list will be generated on the right side of the screen with the people who are enrolled in the class both as students and faculty. A search pane will appear on the left side of the screen. Type in the first name and last name of the student and click on ‘Search’
f) Once you see the name of your student under the results section, click on the (+) sign next to it. You will notice that the name has been added to the list on the right side of the screen.
g) Click on ‘Save’ for the changes to take effect.

7. How do I export course contents?

In Digication, you have the option to download discussions content along with the attachments for easy access without an internet connection. You can use this feature at the end of the term for archival purposes as well. To do this, follow these steps:
a) Login to Digication
b) Scroll down to the ‘My Courses’ section and click on your course (e.g., CEP121, LIB200)
c) Click on the ‘Settings’ tab located on the right side; this will give you the option to edit the settings for that particular course
d) Click on ‘Export Discussions’ under ‘Discussions’ on the left hand side menu.
e) Read the general information provided; it explains how the information will be downloaded and how you can access it
f) Check the options at the bottom of the page to include attachments on posts and/or to download private posts as well
g) Click on ‘Download This Course’

8. How do I import course contents from one course to another?

In Digication, you have the option to import class content from one course to another with just a few clicks. To do this, follow these steps:
a) Login to Digication
d) Click on ‘Import’ under ‘Discussions’ on the left hand side menu.
e) You will see the list of classes available. Click on the class you want to transfer content from.
f) Now, you will see the information that is available to transfer. Check the information you want to transfer and then click on ‘Import’.
g) Once the process is completed, you will be taken back to the ‘Discussions’ area where you will see the new content just transferred. You will also see the ‘Import Completed’ message underneath the banner on top of the page. This confirms the process has been successful.